As the AI, Analytics, and the Future of Work Initiative explores the economic and social transformations brought about by digital technology, we will be planning events for students, alumni, and the global business community. Please check back to learn about future events as we plan them, or watch videos from our past events.
Stay tuned for Fall 2021 upcoming events.
2021 Past Events
How is AI Impacting the Workplace?
Learn how Technology and AI is changing the way companies are operating, from the way they make decisions to the way they hire and motivate employees. The panel also will address how data collected from private companies can provide insights for the public good.
- Jim Manzi, Founder of Foundry.ai and author of “Uncontrolled”
- Matthew Breitfelder, Global Head of Human Capital and Senior Partner at Apollo
- Prasad Setty, Vice President of People Operations at Google
- Fiona Greig, Managing Director and the Co-President at the JPMorgan Chase Institute
Moderated by Alberto Rossi, Provost’s Distinguished Associate Professor of Finance
Disrupting Personal Finance with Robo Advisors
In partnership with FMA International, the Mayo Center for Asset Management and the AI, Analytics, and Future of Work Initiative at Georgetown invite you to join us for an upcoming session of our Virtual Seminar Series. This session will explore the promises and pitfalls of robo-advising. The FinTech revolution has brought with it many advances in asset management, including the area of dispensing personal financial advice without the interaction of human advisors. Our guest speaker will examine the uptake of this burgeoning tool and assess its impact on financial decision-making by investors – both the good and the bad.
- Alberto Rossi, Provost’s Distinguished Associate Professor of Finance, Director of the AI, Analytics and Future of Work Initiative, McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University
Moderated by Pedro Matos, John G. Macfarlane Family Chair and Professor of Business Administration, Academic Director of Richard A. Mayo Center for Asset Management, University of Virginia Darden School of Business
January – March
2020 Past Events
AI and the Future of Work
Sponsored by the Georgetown University Alumni Association
Artificial intelligence is an integral part of our daily lives, and its presence will only continue to grow in a world that has been indelibly changed by COVID-19. Between organizations that have gone entirely remote and unemployed workers in need of new opportunities, to the shifting landscape of matching talent with opportunities, many are looking to artificial intelligence to mitigate the issues we face, and to build a more prepared and effective workforce. While it is vital for us to lean into the inevitable power of AI, we must also recognize and explore the ethical implications of AI. Where does our humanity end in a world that is ever-increasingly tied to AI?
Join Paul Almeida (P’16, ‘20), dean of Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business, and alumni in the world of AI for a look at how AI is shaping the future of work and what steps are being taken to prepare the next generation workforce.
- Flynn Coleman (F’03), author, A Human Algorithm
- Maggie Little, founder and director, Ethics Lab, Kennedy Institute of Ethics
- Fabio Rosati (B’87, P’18, ‘23), executive chairman, Snagajob
- Jason Schloetzer, associate professor, McDonough School of Business.
Big Data, Small Data, and Covid-19
Sponsored by the Georgetown McDonough Alumni Relations Office.
A Reskilling Revolution, Lifelong Learning, and the Future of Work
Employers are increasingly emphasizing the need for prospective and current employees to reskill throughout their careers. Join us for a moderated discussion about how emerging technologies are helping employees reskill on the job, and the rapidly increasing employment value of certifications and credentials obtained from outside of the university setting.
March – November
Global Virtual Seminar Series on Fintech
Sponsored by the Georgetown Center for Financial Markets and Policy.
- Natural Language Processing Day (November 6, 2020)
- Man vs. Machine Day (October 30, 2020)
- Social Finance Day (October 16, 2020)
- Robo-Advising Day (September 25, 2020)
- Fintech Apps Day (September 18, 2020)
- Data Privacy Day (July 24, 2020)
- Machine Learning Day (July 10, 2020)
- Crypto Day (June 16, 2020)
- Financial-Market Information and Corporate Finance: An Overview with New Perspectives for the Fintech Revolution (June 12, 2020)
- Predictably Unequal? The Effects of Machine Learning on Credit Markets (June 5, 2020)
- When Fintech Competes for Payment Flows (May 29, 2020)
- Algorithmic Accountability: A Legal and Economic Framework (May 22, 2020)
- Bitcoin’s Fatal Flaw – The Limited Adoption Problem (May 15, 2020)
- Beyond the Balance Sheet Model of Banking – Implications for Bank Regulation and Monetary Policy (May 8, 2020)
- Cryptocurrency in the Coronavirus Crisis (May 1, 2020)
- Do Credit Card Companies Screen for Behavioral Biases? (April 24, 2020)
- Kill Zone (April 17, 2020)
- Stable Fees: A Predictable Market for Cryptocurrencies (April 3, 2020)
- On the Rise of Fintechs – Credit Scoring Using Digital Footprints (March 27, 2020)